ASKING and GIVING ADVICE

CONSIDERATION
advise : /ədˈvaɪs/ verb
e.g: I advise you to learn English. You will undoubtedly need it in your higher studies.
advice : /ədˈvaɪz/ noun
e.g: My father gave me this piece of advice when I was young: never give up
If you want to ask a piece of advice from someone, you can use such expressions:
What do you suggest? 
What do you advise me to do? 
What should I do? 
What ought I to do? 
If you were me what would you do? 
If you want to give a piece of advice to anybody, you can use these expressions:
If I were you, I would…
Why don’t you…?
You’d better…
You ought to/should…
If you take my advice, you will….

For stronger advice we can use 'have to' or 'must':
Example: You must see a doctor.
                You have to practice your speaking skill. Things to remember about asking for and giving advice
-We can’t say an advice or some advices
-"Ought to" has nearly the same meaning as "should". The only difference is that "ought to " refers to a moral or external obligation but should is more of an advice.
Example:
  "You
ought to stop smoking."
  "You
should stop smoking. “
-You'd better" is the short form of "you had better"
Example:
"You
'd better see a doctor!" = "You had better see the doctor"

 Using imperatives to give advice 
We can use imperative verbs + '-ing' to give advice.
Start going to the gym.
Stop drinking so much coke.
Try cycling to school. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DESCRIPTIVE TEXT