Reflexive/Emphasizing Pronoun


Reflexive Pronoun  
A Reflexive Pronoun is used as the object of a verb when the action of the verb returns to the doer, i.e.: when subject and object are the same person.
 Example:  
-          She saw herself in the mirror.
-          The boy can dress himself.
-          He cut himself last night.
-          The children behave themselves.
Emphasizing Pronouns
a pronoun used to convey emphasize is called an emphasizing pronoun.
For example:
-          I myself locked the door
-          You yourself asked for money
-          They themselves are responsible for it

Difference between Emphasizing pronouns and Reflexive Pronoun

We notice that both the pronouns are identical in form. To find the difference between them we have to understand their function.

A reflexive pronoun answers the question: whom? An emphasizing pronoun lends emphasis. For example:

I blamed myself for my failure.
Blamed whom? – Myself, so the word myself has been used as reflexive pronoun.

Iwan; Are you sure the door was locked?
Budi: I locked it myself.

Nobody else, only I locked the door. So I know that it is locked. Here the word myself has been used as an emphasizing pronoun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DESCRIPTIVE TEXT

ASKING and GIVING ADVICE